Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do I smell a tournament?

A combination of factors has led to my decision to come out of what I'll refer to as retirement to write another tournament. These are factors that you won't know about, not that you needed to anyways, since you're obviously so excited about this you can barely contain yourself. As the title suggests, this tournament will be between characters from both the Marvel and DC universes, and at the end the members victorious from each universe will battle each other.

Here are some rules/guidelines for the tournament.

  • What I say goes, and all outcomes are final unless you can prove to me beyond a speck of doubt that I was horrifically wrong in either research or bias. That will never happen.
  • There are 8 characters on each side, and the victorious characters will continue to fight other people in their own universes until they either lose a match or make it to the final match.
  • There may or may not be a losers bracket, but either way the losers will not be completely out.
  • The characters were chosen because I believe they will provide an entertaining and balanced tournament for most matches. Some people (like Spiderman) were left out because they don't have the powers or equipment to keep up with some of these other guys, while others were left out for the opposite reason; being too powerful. I'd love to have guys like Dr. Strange, Darkseid, Doomsday, Jean Grey, and Black Bolt in it, but all of those people have ridiculous powers that haven't even been fully defined within the comics. Let's just say that if you have the power to destroy a world, you're too powerful.
  • The names will be picked randomly out of a hat for each round.
  • Superman is not invulnerable, in fact nobody's invulnerable. That's just stupid.
  • Is that everything? Let's assume so...

Here's the current list (if you feel particularly strongly about a different character being on the list, tell me who and why and I may consider it.)

DC Comics
Superman
Martian Manhunter
Flash
Green Lantern
Batman
Captain Atom*
Cyborg
Wonder Woman
Marvel
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
The Hulk
Carnage
Silver Surfer
Magneto
Mr. Fantastic

I'll go in depth for each team member next post.

*While not created by DC, he's been absorbed into the universe for long enough to be eligible.

Also, this isn't going to be entered into the blogger awards, 'cause I still wanna judge.

































(If I lose everything in the middle of this thing again, I'm going postal.)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome and i am really thrilled to see that you write again.

    A few questions though.

    1) Why include Raz-al-ghul? For as far as i know, He is not a particular special warrior, only having a briljant brain and martial arts training.

    2) Why Include Mageneto? Magneto has the power to control metal, but that is the only power he has. I have never seen him use anything else/

    3) Do you only take the comics into account for the powers, or all media?

    A suggestion--
    Maybe you could include Wolverine. He is not only one of the x-men but a power on itself and he has starred a lot of solo comics. He does not only have his claws, he has also a katana and would be a tough opponent to beat but he cannot destroy worlds and can be beaten also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Ra's Al Ghul: He has lived hundreds of years thanks to his Lazerus Pits, accumulating vast amount of knowledge on martial arts, chemistry, and physics. He also uses alot of weaponry, like swords, shurikens, bolas, and even small explosives. He's really like a wiser, more ninja-like version of Batman.

    As for Magneto: I'm quite surprised you mentioned Magneto in this, as I considered him too powerful at first, but later realized that he can be countered by some of the faster guys. His powers may be limited to controlling metal and magnetic fields, but he has refined this power to the point of god status in his own right. He has not only used his powers to direct meteors in space from earth, but has been shown to be able to pull tiny metal particles out of the air and create solid objects with them. He can literally create a metal shield or weapon out of thin air. If that's not good enough to be in the tournament, than I don't know what is.

    And Wolverine: I certainly considered him for his regenerative abilities and metal skeleton, but not only does he have little to no ranged possibilities, I already had Magneto in the tournament. That makes two X-men, and one of them can tear the other to shreds in seconds, which might create some one sided matches. I figured One X-man was enough anyways...

    As for the powers: Comics are the only really solid form of reasearch matter on this stuff, since movies and video games are often exaggerated or completely wrong in their portrayals (Superman can't stop earth's orbit, that's ridiculous.) However I won't say I'm not going to remove isolated incidents from their powers, like a power or strength level that was only seen once or twice in the character's lifespan. The more consistant powers will be used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ye! YES! YES!!!

    I never thought i'd live to see the day when you got back to writing, but it has finally occurred. Hallelujah!

    Looking at the rules, you have a point about superman not being invulnerable. In fact I believe he was killed by Apocalypse in one of the comics.

    I believe Wolverine has used ranged weapons before, and is quite skilled with them, but this would be limited by his distaste for them, and he would rush into close quarters as soon as possible. If you ever do Wolverine in any of your future battles put him against Wesker...for some reason I have found that that is a hugely popular match.

    Anyway I cannot wait to see more of this, and hopefully My Kerrigan vs. Mercer battle will be finished this weekend in time for the awards !After that is the ultimate xbox battle....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks sexy to me man ;) I'm readily looking forward to this match :D It'll be like Mortal Kombat but ten times better :D

    I can't wait to see who fights who and I have no problem deferring to you as to the winners or losers :)

    Carry on my man,

    TA

    MAster of the Boot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much love everyone, I'm currently working on everyones bios (I decided it would be easier to make all the bios now so I don't have to explain their powers and origins every match,) I should be finished with the DC guys sometime this weekend, so the actual tournament should start next weekend at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changed Ra's Al Ghul to Cyborg, since Ra's really is too similar to Batman. Also I forgot about Cyborg until now, and he's too cool not to be included, so it works out.

    ReplyDelete